David Biello will share his experiences communicating science to a national audience, as well as consider the role of science communication in the south central region, the importance of this region in the national conversation about science and society, and the importance of building connections among science writers.
- So You Want to Publish a Book? Join us for a conversation covering all aspects of the book business— author, editor, and agent—as we explore the particularities of book publishing in the South. Moderator: Juli Berwald. Panelists: Stacy Eisenstark, Texas A&M University Press; Melissa Gaskill, freelance; Jim Hornfischer, Hornfischer Literary Management.
- Unconventional Science Communication (eg., Nerd Nite) These days science communication doesn’t just happen on the page. This panel explores a broad swath of ways to communicate science from video to the stage and beyond. Moderator: Nichole Bennett, STEMprov; Panelists: Roxanne Bogucka, UT Science Communication Interest Group; Panelists: Joe Hanson, It’s Okay To Be Smart; Mickey Delp, NerdNite.
- PIOs Outside the Box: New Audiences, New Ways to Reach Them Go beyond the press release with a panel of innovative science communicators using creative formats to share their institutions’ stories of science. Moderator: Marc Airhart, University of Texas at Austin. Panelists: Rachel Barry, NASA; Rebecca Fowler, Center for Climate and Life at Columbia University and the Climate Science Legal Defense Fund; Nadia M. Whitehead is a science writer at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso.
- How to Pitch Your Stories to Editors Got a brilliant idea for a regional story and not sure how or where to pitch it? This panel of successful editors and freelancers has got ideas for you. Moderator: Melissa Gaskill. Panelists: Louie Bond, Texas Parks & Wildlife; Tina Casagrand, New Territory Magazine.
- Using Improv to Sharpen Science Communication Skills (an interactive workshop) Austin’s own Nichole Bennett guides you through some of her signature STEMprov activities to inspire you to think about your science in a whole new way. Moderator/Speaker: Nichole Bennett, STEMprov.
- The Challenges of Reporting on Energy and the Environment in our Region The South is the battery of our nation, home to more biomes than many countries, and a powerful conservative party that often controls the conversation. Our panel of expert writers share their experience navigating these fraught waters. Moderator: David Biello. Panelists: Kiah Collier, Texas Tribune; Brendan Gibbons, San Antonio Express-News; Asher Price, Austin American-Statesman.